Life can get pretty crazy when you have kids, your main focus is always that they are okay and are taken care of ,so sometimes taking care of yourself or remembering to treat yourself every now and then can get lost in the mist of everyday tasks. When I first had Cal I don’t think I showered for a few days at a time, even brush my hair and don’t even get me started on shaving my legs! I began to feel not like myself and knew I needed to start doing things for me a little more. I started taking full advantage of nap times or any free time I had away from Callan to enjoy some quiet time, sans baby. Let me tell you, doing this made all the difference ! It gave me that energy and recharge I needed so I could be the mom Callan needed. It doesn’t always have to be something big and elaborate like getting a massage,but it could be small and simple ! So, here are some of my favorite things to do to treat myself !
- My absolute number one is…flowers ! Go to the store and buy yourself some of the prettiest flowers they have, it will almost instantly put you in a better mood. Anyone that knows me, knows I love florals and a good bouquet is the way to my heart, that or coffee. Personally, I can never resist Peonies when they are in season, the smell people, you can’t make that stuff up.
- Another one of my guilty pleasures is to grab some of the dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s when we are grocery shopping, then cracking them open and watching a cheesy ABC family show once Callan goes to bed. If you haven’t already tried the peanut butter cups, then your missing out…To. Die. For.
- My other night time favorite is to take a nice hot shower and put a mask on my face. It makes me feel like I’m at the spa but from the comfort of my own home ! For my birthday one year, my friend got me a box filled with all different Skin Food products like green tea bath bombs, bath salts, and an array of facial masks and I’ve been obsessed ! If you haven’t already tried any of the Skin Food masks, I highly recommend the black honey mask. It is perfect for anyone who has acne prone skin, like myself (ugh). Another one of my favorites is the Strawberry mask, it smells so yummy ! The best part is these products are made with all natural ingredients so theres no harsh chemical.
- Fourth, I really enjoy sitting down and giving myself a manicure. I used to be a huge nail bitter and always had the ugliest, shortest nails until I got into high school and decided it was time to break that habit. To do that, I constantly had to have my nails painted because if they were I wouldn’t want to mess them up. It feels so good when your nails are clipped and filled, cuticles taken care of and a fresh paint job. My favorite nails polishes lately have been the one from Urban Outfitters ! They have some of the cutest colors and they even have some in mattes !
- Crack open a book. I’ll admit, I hardly ever finish the books I start. Half the time, I will start a book then put it down for too long then forget what it was about and will have to start all over again…anyone else ? But, nonetheless taking the time to sit down and relax in the quiet without Micky Mouse Clubhouse in the background is so nice.
- Lastly, go outside ! Go for a run or a walk by the beach, anything ! Especially when you have a really hard day, the best thing you can do is to get some fresh air. I’ll even bring Callan with me to ride in the stroller and head down to the beach trail for a jog and come back feeling so good, about myself and just have a much better outlook for the rest of the day. I know how hard it can be when you have kids and you just feel so tired you want to plop down on the couch and take a nap, but trust me..don’t ! It doesn’t have to be hard or for a long time, just 30 mins of some cardio or even an at home workout gives you an energy boost and benefits your overall health !